of Sonora, known as the “Queen of the Southern Mines,” was established in
1848 by miners emigrating from the State of Sonora, Mexico. The early
settlement was often referred to as the Sonoran Camp.
many communities in California’s Mother Lode, gold mining was the driving
force behind Sonora’s early development. By 1849 the population of the
town was approximately 5,000 and remains so today.
picture displays three methods of gold mining:
2) Rocker or Cradle
The animal driven Arrastra was used in quartz mining to pulverize the ore
and release the particles of gold which were usually collected by
Although there was mining activity in the Sonora area in 1848, the first
documented discovery was in Wood’s Creek (near today’s Sonora High School)
on March 17, 1849. Unlike many Gold Rush towns, no specific individual is
credited with the discovery of gold in Sonora.
sheltered valley with two all-year creeks (Sonora and Woods Creek) had
long been a winter camping place for the indigenous Mi-wuk Indian people.
They eventually moved their camps farther up into the mountains as the
population of the area increased.
the gold discovery at the Sonoran Camp spread quickly and hopeful miners
from the East Coast and foreign countries began the long journey to the
promised land. Many boarded ships on the East Coast and sailed to Panama
where they crossed the Isthmus on foot or horseback and vied for passage
on crowded ships bound for San Francisco. From San Francisco it was an
additional two day trip by schooner to Stockton and then a dusty stage
ride through the foothills to Sonora. When arriving in Sonora the
travelers were covered and choked with dust. They found a camp of dirt
streets and tents with very sparse accommodations.
the City’s early inhabitants were from Germany, France, England, Ireland
and Italy, as well as those from Mexico and South America. Imagine walking
the City’s streets and hearing the numerous languages being spoken.
record of Sonora organizing as a town was on November 7, 1849, when
citizens met to discuss providing a hospital, after scurvy had raged
through the camp during the preceding winter. The hospital was built and
maintained throughout the ensuing rainy season, by the contributions of
the benevolent and by the sale of town lots.
On May 1,
1851, Sonora was incorporated as a city and Mayor Charles F. Dodge
presided over the first town meeting on May 26th.
Council immediately enacted ordinances related to gambling. Ordinance
Number 14 outlawed any game “having in its tendency deception or fraud.”
Ordinance Number 15 allowed faro, monte, roulette, other gaming tables,
and games of chance, for a license fee. It is not clear why the games
mentioned in Ordinance 15 were not considered as having in their tendency
deception or fraud. Taming of the City had begun!
1860s and 1870s Sonora had its own Chinatown with about 400 Chinese
residents. Chinese stores were built side by side along the entire block
between Stewart, Shepherd, Bradford and Lyons streets. Narrow alleys went
between the stores to the rear of the buildings where there were small
rooms used for living quarters. Two larger rooms that had several bunks
around the walls were used as Opium Dens. Only a small monument on Stewart
Street commemorates what was once Chinatown and only a few people today
remember the once active community.
County was established as one of California’s original 27 counties on
February 18, 1850, with Sonora as the County Seat. Sonora remains the
County Seat and is the only incorporated city in the County.
Tuolumne County Courthouse was constructed of wood in 1853. This two story
structure faced Green street between Jackson Street and Yaney Avenue.
Water to this building was furnished through one single faucet from which
containers were filled for use in the various courthouse offices. On court
days a bucket of fresh water was placed by the courtroom door with a
long-handled dipper hanging conveniently nearby for community use. Other
amenities included spittoons for the interior rooms and outside privies.
Electric lights were not installed until 1892 when the City of Sonora was
the County tore down the old courthouse and replaced it, on the same site,
with the masonry building with its distinctive clock tower that we have
today. The new building faces Yaney Avenue instead of Green Street as the
old building did. Local lore tells us that S. S. Bradford, a lumber baron
who lived across Yaney Avenue from the courthouse, wanted the front of the
courthouse to face his home instead of a side of the building, and used
his influence on the County Board of Supervisors.
Court House drawing courtesy of the Tuolumne County
Historical Society and Museum
old mining towns, Sonora has had a number of disastrous fires. The worst
of these occurred on June 18, 1852, consuming nearly every building along
Washington street, from Church Street to where St. James Episcopal Church
(the Red Church) now stands.
the fire, wooden buildings along Washington Street were built close
together without side streets. After the fire it was decided to create
side streets as fire breaks, saving the City from total destruction during
subsequent fires. Sonora’s downtown configuration has changed very little
since 1852. The City’s last major fire in the downtown occurred in 1970,
destroying several businesses close to and over Sonora Creek on the west
side of Washington Street. After the fire, instead of rebuilding the
destroyed structures Coffill Park was created.
Sonora had its share of desperadoes and a series of jails in which to
house them. History records the most primitive detention device, an oak
tree with a chain around it. The oak was succeeded by a series of simple
buildings including a log cabin, a metal cage inside the jail building to
house the most violent prisoners, and a masonry building. In 1866, a new
jail was built on Bradford Avenue. This jail replaced a previous structure
that was destroyed by fire in 1865, when an unhappy inmate set fire to his
inmate, Tom Horn, was a miner from Columbia who had ridden into Sonora on
a drunken spree. After being removed from his horse to save the animal, he
made his next stop at the Riffle Saloon. Obviously in no shape to ride
home, he was taken to the County jail to “sleep it off.” After the jailer
checked his charges for the night and went downtown, Horn set the fire. As
flames went through the building citizens raised the alarm, saving the
other prisoners, but Horn’s door jammed and he perished in the blaze.
jail held its first prisoners on September 19, 1866, and was used as the
Tuolumne County jail until 1963. During this time, the County Sheriff and
his family lived at the jail with his wife cooking for the inmates and
performing other housekeeping duties. Now home of the Tuolumne County
Museum, it is open to the public with the old jail cells used to display
many of the County’s historic artifacts.
Sonora was well established and in need of a large community facility that
could be used for various types of entertainment. Citizens had always
shown an appreciation for local and traveling entertainment troupes and
other community events. The Sonora Opera Hall was the answer to this need.
Divoll and Joseph Bray originally built the Star Flouring Mill on the
site. They had made their fortune from the Bonanza Mine, which was located
just north of the “Red Church.”
1885, the flour mill burned under suspicious circumstances. Many believed
that robbers had broken into the mill thinking gold from the Bonanza Mine
was stored there.
fire, Divoll and Bray immediately set to using the surviving walls of the
flour mill for the Opera Hall. Just three months later, on Christmas Eve
1885, the Opera Hall opened with its first event, a roller skating party.
The Opera Hall was active as a community center only until 1896, when the
owners decided it was no longer financially viable. After 1896 there were
many uses of the building, the longest being the Opera Hall Garage which
closed its doors in 1979. The City acquired the Opera Hall in 1985, and
through several historic preservation grants and civic contributions, the
City was able to restore the building as an elegant community and
continued to prosper during the 1800s as the County seat and commercial
center of Tuolumne County. As mining declined, the lumber industry brought
a new vitality to the community and when the Sierra Railroad came to
Sonora in 1899 the community welcomed the 20th Century with eager
anticipation. Changes came slowly during the 20th century. New forest
management policies impacted the lumber industry and tourism became a key
component of the local economy.
Sonora’s downtown has changed very little from its beginnings, including
its narrow streets and many historic buildings, it draws people from all
over the world who want to experience the ambiance and charm associated
with an earlier day.
City maintains its historic charm. Many of its existing buildings
including the Sonora Opera Hall, Tuolumne County Museum (originally a
jail), and the Tuolumne County Courthouse date back to the 1800s.